Thursday, July 7, 2011

I Swear It Makes A Difference

An increasing number of Maya's friends are "friend-request"-ing me on Facebook. Honestly, I feel a little uncomfortable accepting them...

See, I swear. Quite a bit. Especially when I have something to say. Even when I don't, my status updates are rarely exemplary:


"Shower, crochet & beer, sleep."

"Enjoying a classic DILLIGAF lunch: Honey Dijon Kettle Chips and Hoegaarden. Woo-hoo! :D"

"I really need to stop faffing about on the computer and get some real work done."

"My alarm clock is going to ring in 5 hours. Bastard."

"I don't care what time it is, but it's time for some Terry's Chocolate Orange and pinotage." (posted on a weekday at 12.20pm)

"I need a good-mood pill, goddammit."


Honestly though, I find swearing, in all its glorious emphatic-ism, bloody therapeutic. And there's no denying it, 'coz it has been proven to reduce pain. I mean, look at what it did for King George VI in the Oscar-winning The King's Speech. It literally took a whole load off his mind.

Besides, swearing gives character to stuff you say. It's a Remark, with a dash of salt; Self-Expression, with a dainty little firework; a Quip, with an added whip (cue sound effect).

As for exposing Maya's friends to such flowery language, and possibly horrifyingly irresponsible activities and lunch suggestions, I can only remain true to myself. I was on the verge of un-friending all of them, in case I get a cutting response from an irate parent. But then I thought, "Hey, tough titties, man."

As such, I leave you with an excerpt in which the great Stephen Fry discusses the finer aspects of swearing. Have a fricken good day everyone! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment