Monday, April 6, 2009

Shanghai was super!

Such a vibrant, modern city... I never knew. From the skyscrapers, the sheer number of people rushing up and down, you can just sense the city's looming massive potential. No wonder anyone who is clued into the future of the business world is clamouring to polish up on their Mandarin.

But what truly took my breath away were the former government buildings and banks along the Shanghai Bund. Gorgeous, gorgeous Art Deco and Neo-classical buildings, inside and out, some gloriously restored, and some in very sorry states. They were absolutely amazing.

But, as far as I can see, the present Shanghai has yet to live up to its past. From the oldest most dilapidated "skyscraper" from the 1920s, you can tell Shanghai used to be one of the most exciting cities to be in, even more so than London, New York or Paris at that time. As a matter of fact, Shanghai once had the tallest building, and the fastest elevator in the world...

For now, just words. I will put up some pics as soon as I get round to downloading them from the camera...

Right now, I have a couple of orders to complete... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment